17 September 2006

Girly Dreams, Versailles, and l'Eglise!

I fulfilled every girl's dreams on Friday...I went shopping. In Paris. Pretty much all day. I got a good outfit out of it, too. What girls do NOT dream about I also got...that's right, huge blisters and amazingly painful feet. I cleverly wore character shoes, since I figured for heels they've gotta be relatively comfy. I believe the response to that statement would be a picture of me kneeling in the sock section at a Monoprix (like a mini Target) in Paris crawling around, keeping my feet off the ground.

Versailles was actually, to me, dissapointing. Much of it was under construction, or rather, "restoration," which means they're cleaning it, so that wasn't cool but mostly it was dark and musty and crowded. I had thought the gardens would be amazing but they were extensive and sort of...only extensive. I'm sorry if I'm hurting anyone's opinions out there! We DID spend a while playing with some slugs and had a fun time haggling with the souvenir sellers. I also saw the Tour Eiffel! It was exciting and it SPARKLES every hour which was very exciting.

Church (eglise) today was interesting. It's exhausting to be actively translating the whole time. Oh yes and I also was the piano player for all three hours today. With hymns with different names and a lot of the music is a little bit different here. It was fun, though. We found a family from Boston who speak English and are just here for two years (one down!) and they sort of knew Hannah/Tyler when they were here.

2 comments:

Krista Beaman said...

It is I and I am COMMENTING!!!!!! Oh how thrilling. First of all, I would like to say how teribly awful it is of your to say horrid things about Versailles. Even if it is completely boring and under construction, it gets plenty of bonus points for having been used as a set for the most recent adaptation of The Count of Monte Cristo, which, I should say, was quite brilliant. But I am glad you fulfilled your lifelong dream. Did I ever tell you that mine was to go to a movie at a movie theater and be the only person there to watch my movie? That's my lifelong dream. Okay, I don't actually have to be alone, per se. I could have selected personas with me, but the idea is that no one ELSE comes IN. I've very nearly accomplished it several times, but people always end up walking in ten minutes late. I wonder if I could somehow lock the doors?
But back to you and your excitingness. I find it all admirably exciting. Good show girl!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sariah!!! It's me Naomi! Sorry Versailles was a downer. It was undergoing "restoration" when I was there also. I'm so glad that you're having fun in Paris! Isn't the Eiffel Tower wonderful when it sparkles?! I absolutely loved it!!!! Isn't shopping in Paris wonderful?! Hope everything is going swell!!!!