26 November 2006

A European Thanksgiving

For Thanksgiving, about 25 of us went to Geneva (that's in Switzerland!) and stayed there from Wednesday evening to Saturday evening. There is a girl in our group whose parents were recently called as mission presidents there, and the mission home has (in just the "girls" side!) over twenty beds! So yes, that was very exciting. Thanksgiving dinner was HUGE, but sadly I wasn't as appreciative as I might have been. You see...the Tuesday before this I had that tell-tale sore throat that means you're getting sick. And then Wednesday it hit. And it was BAD! As in, just before Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday the mission president gave me a blessing because I had an ear infection coming. (Don't doubt this - I've had them twice in the last year. I know what they feel like!) And so I couldn't taste dinner. And except for dinner and a five minute attempt to walk into town (which failed), I spent the ENTIRE weekend in Geneva sleeping in my room, trying to quarantine myself since nobody wanted to be near me lest they catch it. I understand their reluctance to get sick (especially considering the symptoms, and in the opinion of several seperate sources, it was the flu) but it was really lonely.

I got someone to lend me their laptop and on that I watched 12 hours of the TV show "24" (that was for you, Steven. I'd already seen the first 12.) and I sort of slept/watched movies for the whole weekend. My ear infection DID go away. But then the lovely crash when I had consumed my entire package of cold medicine occured, and it was pretty much terrible. But I'm home now and I'm feeling a bit better though walking still takes a while to recover from. I hope you all had better Thanksgivings than that, and I shall see some of you soon soon SOON this WEEK!!, and the rest of you soon enough after that!

No comments: