29 November 2006

Three Things to Remember when Living Here

The following three things are those which I have done incorrectly around my madame, and have been promptly corrected by said madame.

1) Always wear shoes in the house. Especially to dinner. (I had asked madame on the first day if it was a "no shoe" house or not and she said to do whatever I wanted, so I did. Some weeks later, she confided across the table at dinner to me that "we shouldn't ever walk around with naked feet. It doesn't feel right. And have shoes on at dinner.")

2) Do not blow your nose on toilet paper. Especially madame's. (I don't know if it's the toilet paper, or if it's because it's madame's, but don't! I had a cold and I was told that this was not the thing to do. That is why we buy kleenex. Never mind that it was Sunday and I was desperately ill and there was no place open where I COULD buy kleenex.)

3) Finally, stop shedding hair! Sheesh! (I mean, come on, who actually loses hair! Apparently I do, and madame pulled me aside one night to inform me that I ought to pay more attention to my hair. At first I thought she was talking like my American mom does, that I should actually make it look acceptable, but no she meant that I should stop letting stray strands fall from my head. I should pick up every one that falls off. Sadly, I don't have a buzzer that tells me when a hair comes off!)

None of these things are inappropriate when executed improperly by my roommate. Maybe it's just us dark haired, naked footed, nose blowing Sariahs!

No comments: